Saturday, December 3, 2011

Machine Bench


I needed a very sturdy bench to mount my mill.  I could buy one but they are expensive and not heavy enough.  So I built this one in September 2011.  The legs are concrete block.  Each block is cemented together and the hollows in the block are filled solid with concrete.  I sunk two pieces of rebar into each leg to help hold everything together.  I left the rebar sticking out of the top of the blocks.  The top is a 1/2" x 24" x 36" steel plate left behind by a road crew.  I progressively drilled four holes in the top to coincide with the rebar in the legs.  I set the top over the rebar and welded the top to the rebar to make everything one solid piece.  I cut and ground the rebar flush and bolted my mill to the top.  I built an identical bench for my lathe.  The benches are rock solid.  I never have to worry about vibration.  All pieces were found for free, the only thing I paid for was the concrete mix.  Now I just need to find a good industrial epoxy paint to cover the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment