|Turnigy (aka FlySKy/Imax/Eurgle) 9 channel radio|
Uh...wait. Let me rephrase that. How to turn a $40 radio into a $600 radio. Make that a $65 radio. Hold on, $89. One more part, $135. Forgot shipping. What about the battery? OK. How to turn a $193 radio into a $600 radio.
OK, let me explain the prices. I originally ordered this radio from HobbyKing for $39.99. That was on backorder so I ordered the same radio shipped from the US from HobbyKing for $64.75. That was on backorder too. So then I ordered the same radio off of eBay for $159.95 (I was on a deadline and desperate). Guess what? Backorder! I finally found the FlySky (same radio, different name) at HobbyPartz for $89. Paid an extra $29 for rush delivery. Then I spent another $53 with shipping for the smartieparts board. Add 23 more dollars (with shipping) for a rechargeable battery and you're there.
I have been posting a lot about modifying my FlySky FS-TH9X radio (aka Turnigy 9X) to improve its form and function. With a few simple modifications, you can give this cheap, yet capable radio the features of a radio costing hundreds more. This blog is just a list of links to those posts with a brief summary.
- Upgrade the firmware - The weakest point of this radio is the buggy and complicated firmware. Install a board that allows you to upgrade the firmware to a better version. Bonus, you get a backlight too!
- Move the USB plug - Relocate the USB plug on the upgrade board for easier access.
- Fix the trainer port - This radio will not work with flight simulator software unless you unplug the TX module. Adding a resistor will fix this.
- Move the antenna - The TX module is hard wired to the antenna. It should be removable so you can swap in a new module. See how to move the antenna from the radio to the TX module.
- Fix the LED - The indicator LED on the RX is almost impossible to see. Cut the label and see the light!
- Add a rechargeable battery - Who wants to keep replacing 8 NiMH disposable batteries? Add a rechargeable LiPo battery for economy and longer radio life.