|Saw blade target|
The past few days I've been suffering from maker's block. A project I've been working on has been getting the best of me. I needed a quick and easy project to break out of my funk. A few months ago I lent my chop saw to a friend who was installing a laminate floor. When I got it back, the 12" blade was as sharp as a wet noodle. Rather than throw it away, I decided to save it for a future project. Good saw blades use high quality steel. I figured this blade would make a great airgun target.
|dull chop saw blade|
I grabbed some of my favorite curb-side steel; old bed frames. I used a cut-off wheel on my grinder to cut the pieces. I cut the top piece 19" long and the vertical pieces 25" long; 20" for the height and 5" for the ground spike. I screwed up and cut the spike on the right side on the wrong end of the piece, making the face frame uneven on that side. I thought about scrapping that piece and making a new one, but it is only an aesthetic problem. It will function just fine as is.
I welded the pieces together and dressed the welds and sharp edges with the grinder. I drilled two holes spaced 10" apart on the top of the frame to support the blade. I cut some old chain to length and bolted it to the blade and frame with 10-24 screws. Luckily the blade already had expansion slots in it that fit the hardware perfectly. Drilling through good saw blades is an exercise in futility without carbide bits. I finished off the frame with a little spray paint over the bare spots.
The blade has a tantalizing hole right in the center; perfect for a bullseye. In the future, I think I will have to mount some sort of bell behind it. As I don't have one right now, some Daisy ShatterBlast targets will have to suffice. I was going to add some sort of mount for the Daisy targets on the back of the blade, but duct tape will work just as well.
|targets for bullseye|